An Iranian garden of art and peace in central Tehran
One of the most significant Qajar-era garden-mansions in the center of Tehran is Negarestan garden, which has witnessed a turbulent history. during his reign (1797-1834), Fathali Shah Qajar built many places and gardens in Tehran, including Golestan Garden, Firuzeh place, Glass palace, Zomorod palace and Negarestan Garden.
Negarestan garden was originally build by the order of Fathali Shah in the year 1807-1813, as a peace resort to be used during the summers.
The appointment of the crown prince Mohammad Mirza in 1833 and his coronation in 1834, as well as Naseredin Shah’s wedding in 1842 new celebrated in this garden. over time though, due to Nasereddin Shah s lack of interest in the place, Negarestan garden became abandoned.
In more recent times, when the garden was converted into one of Iran s esteemed centers of higher education, in other words when it became figures started frequenting it, Negarestan Garden once again received due attention.
According to the old map of Tehran, the original garden covered a vast area of approximately 43200 square meter, parts of which were handed over to governmental departments and agencies over time. Its current area, about 10000 squares meters is not comparable to the original expanse of land it used to cover.
Matching the historical situation of Negarestan garden with the current map of Tehran, the entire area of the garden would fall to the north of Baharestan square.